At risk of monopolising the blog I thought I'd post an update of how the painting is coming along. It's funny you know, you put off starting these things for literally months and then when you start you just can't stop and end up working like a thing possessed.
Anyway, as you can see I've started to give some form to the hands. I've gone in with some lights and darks just to try to establish where the shadows should be. I'm using a Phthalo blue as the base of this shadow colour, which at the moment looks a bit odd but I think that strange greeny tinge will actually work OK under subsequent paint layers.
This is how far I got after last night's session. The bird is still floating over the hands rather than resting in them so one of the tasks is going to try to rectify that. It's 50cm x 70cm by the way, just to give some idea of scale. Not too big, not to small.