The top section of background needs darkening so I'm doing that with the thread. By quilting very closely it should add the tone that I'm looking for. I'm using a rayon thread for the quilting so the lines are quite fine which will complement the marks in the pen drawing. At the moment I'm just filling in the background but soon it'll get more interesting as I do the hand and the birds below it.
As the sun finally shone today I did sneak out to play with the new lens I've got for my camera. It's great for close-up shots and so I've been kneeling on the lawn looking for insects and willing butterflies to pause long enough, but also practising with easier targets like this apple blossom which is so pretty at the moment.