Friday 6 January 2012

Orientation piece 2 finished....well, nearly!

Well, I shall certainly revisit this one and give it a going over at a later date, but it's mostly done now. I have a frame to put around it so it matches the first piece, and a haiku to think of, but we're going to get some distance from each other for a while!!

Here's the process for you. Laura's beautiful fabrics cut and bondawebbed into position, and the background sky painted in using acrylics.



















The stitching begins to add definition and narrative.  Applique is added for the trees, leaves, hogweeds in the front of the picture, and the people.














When the stitching was completed, I began to do a little painting to soften and add definition.... and below is the finished quilt.







 A close up of the middle distance.

 And my little slightly stretched people walking amongst the flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annabel, The quilt looks wonderful - well done on making such good progress on it over the holidays! The painting looks great, can't wait to see it in the flesh. - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura. It's one of those quilts which doesn't photograph very well - or to be more accurate, I probably need to go on a course to learn how to photograph quilts properly! It looks better in real life I think, but is one I'll come back to later. I'm not entirely happy with the leaves on the tree yet, but like the flower garden. - A xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful and lovely to see the way it developed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dotty. I'm not sure about this one, but I'm just going to load them all onto Laura and Linda at the end of the process and let them choose which ones they want!! The spares will go for another exhibition in Warwickshire (Open Studios) during the summer. It was an idea I got from looking at a series of woodcuts done by Utagawa Hiroshige; they all seem to include Mt Fuji and a tree.

    ReplyDelete