Having finally finished and delivered my quilts for FOQ, I am now able to get on to my third piece for the first Orientation exhibition - a third pot. This will hang with the other two as a triptych although each could stand alone as a wallhanging. So here is my initial collage - again a mish-mash of fabrics that feel oriental to me
Obviously a bit too bright, as my planned pot of flowers need to have a chance to show. This pot will hold black orchids, so the background can be quite dramatic, but this needed toning down and some more structural lines adding ... result below
Here's the pot which will hold the orchids - it actually belongs to my Mother in Law and I took the photos months ago, just after I had first been invited to contribute - gorgeous pot
I knew I wanted somethiong else to sit behind the flowers - in much the same way as the moon sits behind the Bonsai tree in Pot 2. But I didn't really want to repeat the moon and was still pondering what to use when I looked up the full name of my chosen orchid and discovered it is known as the moth orchid - perfect .... a big moth would do just the job I wanted. I planned to create him out of painted bondaweb and foil, as with my moon. Here is the paper cut out - trying for size.
And you may struggle to see these next two - but here he is, bondawebbed and foiled
I do only want him to be faint, but he does show better than I can show in the photos - he is silvery and catches the light - perhaps a side view will help ...
And it also shows exactly why I always block my pieces ... imagine how wavy this will be when I have quilted it ... and it's on to that tomorrow - Hilary x