Thursday 24 November 2011

Edwina

It is very exciting being part of such an energetic group but also quite worrying as I'm a bit of a last minute person so it seems quite unusual to see so much work already underway for an exhibition that is not happening for ten months! I know, I can hear you all saying - those ten months will pass by very quickly - and I know I will be the one working through the night to complete in time.
So my intentions are good and I have already started exploring some possibilities. My work is very much fabric led and I will usually start a new set of work by dyeing and printing fabrics. These then tend to inspire my designs. Last week I made an indigo vat and dyed some cotton organdie and linen.
I am exploring a method that is used to make Korean wrapping cloths known as pojagi. Pieces of fabric are joined together by hand using a run and fell seam and when a sheer fabric such as the cotton organdie is used the seams become a major part of the design as you can see in this small sample.
I think this has lots of possibilities so I will keep you posted!

Edwina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edwina,
    I always found pojagi fascinating, I look forward to seeing where this takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Edwina, I'd never heard of pojagi before and it looks fascinating stuff. Fun and fell seams? Ecky thump, that takes me back to sewing lessons at school (nb my needlework teacher used to shout at you if you didn't understand, and I confess to hiding in the supplies cupboard at the back of the room on more than one occasion!!)

    ReplyDelete